Sunday 12 June 2011

Dedicated or delusional?

Its raining, just for a change, and windy, just for a change too!  None of my loving family took my doggie out yesterday, and I had nil energy in the reserves, so he missed out.  I don't think he minds too much, but he is a dog and he does love his walks, so I always feel guilty if I can't take him.  With this in mind, the first thing I did this morning, after my breakfast, was to take him out.  Eewww, its not nice out there today.  The south east of England apparently has drought warnings, we seem to have had nothing but wind and rain in the south west.  Obviously the wind is blowing in the wrong direction for one of us!  Oh, and the wind is cold too.  Shall I shut up about the weather now? lol.

The park was deserted, apart from one other dog walker, just the way I like it.  The ducks were all huddled under the trees, and it was only the coots who had braved the elements.  I didn't stop today, knowing that this sort of weather is lethal for me and my health.  In fact, for once it was a quick walk.  Specks wasn't inclined to hang around, and at one point he was even in front of me - almost unheard of. He is a real sniffer, and his head is down all the time.  The weather did make me wonder tho about what it is that makes dog owners feel the need to take their pets out no matter what.  I guess wild dogs don't wander around in the rain and snow, and hide out of the sun when its hot.  Why should be take our dogs out in the elements no matter what?  Am I trying to excuse myself from going out when I would really rather stay indoors?  Who knows?  My guinea pigs have stayed in their hutch for the last two days, obviously having some weather radar and despite being free to roam at will.  
Anyway, when we came home I gave Specks a bath and then put the gas fire on for him to dry off.  See?  I am not so mean!

I bumped into one of my Mums friends in Tesco yesterday.  It was so lovely to see her - she was Mums nutty friend, someone we should all have.  We caught up on all the news and then said our goodbyes.  It also made me feel very sad, a "miss Mum" time.  Its always worse when I am low, usually due to my health, I am more emotional at these times.  It will be 11 years in September since she died, and sometimes its still as raw as if it was yesterday.  I do seem to talk to her, in my head, a lot and I hope she hears me.  (David, its round the supermarkets mainly that I talk out loud to myself!).  I do talk to myself a lot in the supermarket.  At one point I got a bit worried by it and used to phone David for a chat.  If he wasn't around I would just hold my mobile to my ear and chat anyway!  Now I just think, what the hell, and carry on!  Its only going to get worse so I may as well get a reputation now.  I don't even tell myself to shut up anymore, which I used to do a lot :o)

I have managed to rack up another 8 hours of CPD this last week, so I think I might just leave it now until the next cycle, which begins on August 1st.  That will be the final year of the 5yr cycle.  I have seriously thought of packing it all in, but realise I am in a "cushy" job because I am well looked after when I am ill.  I have been a dental nurse for so long that I don't think I am capable of anything else, and I do enjoy the work despite my many moans.

I could sit here for much longer nattering away about not a lot, but I need to go and see my Dad.  I haven't seen as much of him as normal lately, so I need to make amends.  Thanks for reading.  Hopefully you haven't been too bored, and if you have I am sure you won't be reading this bit, having given up on the second paragraph. ttfn xx

2 comments:

  1. When you say 'it was only the coots who had braved the elements'...I assume you mean you and your fellow dog walker!
    I have ranted long and sung your song for years about the lack of support you seem to get around some of the things you have to do despite your illness...so I won't take that tack.
    You live your life and you enjoy your walks with specs regardless of the weather...
    As an aside I reckon if you left the door open all day Specs would go out a lot and come back rarely...tea time and bed time - think he is a second time round teenager (like you and me!)

    Glad you talk to your Mum, I talk to my Dad 36 years on so as you say may as well accept it and get used to the funny knowing looks!

    CPD - Is it Can't Phone David? :>Dx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had spent 8 hours on the phone to you I would be in serious trouble, and have to take to the streets to pay off my phone bill . Not many customers out in this weather either lol. Sadly David, CPD is continuing professional development, because it would appear we are unable to do out jobs without it! xx

    ReplyDelete