Tuesday 21 June 2011

Scissor sisters and happy days

Walls have ears and potatoes have eyes, but where does the voice come from?  Well, from my pocket actually.  It was a bit of a surreal moment - I was peeling potatoes and I could hear this voice saying "hello, hello, Jill, hello".  Weird, I was definitaley not dreaming, I could hear it.  I then twigged that it was my mate talking to me via my pocket, and in my pocket was my mobile.  It was one of those occasions when your phone has a life of its own and phones a friend!  Well okay, I must have leaned on the buttons somehow doing a redial.

Scissors are the next thing.  Scissors are like socks in this house, they disappear never to be seen again.  Every so often I stock up so there are a couple of pairs in the kitchen, then some for the childrens use.  And they disappear.  At one point last week I was left trying to cut up bacon with a pair of craft scissors with a wavy blade.  Have to say, it might work on paper, but it just leaves a torn up mess of bacon!  If anyone knows where they go, please tell me.  I even had a pair of dressmaking scissors hidden, or so I thought, in my sewing box.  Not any longer.  And actually, thinking about it, the small, very sharp blade type scissors used for unpicking aren't there either.  Hmmmm.  A mystery?  Is there a kleptomaniac on the loose, someone with a fetish who knows I will replace the missing items and so creeps in when I am asleep?  Are they marching off on thier own to start up a rebellion?  Oh dear, I think I need to stop before I get too carried away, hopefully not by the one remaining pair? of scissors.  Now why is one called a pair of scissors?  Is it because there are two blades?  You say have you any scissors, pass me the scissors, but what do you say about the last er set of scissors?  Blimey, I never knew you could talk so long about them.  I want you to all join blogger and join in with this debate! 

As some of you may have seen I have actually bought something for myself without thinking "can I afford it?"  Facebook kindly informed me that Will Youngs new album will be out in August - bagged that then, and also The Feeling keep emailing me to tell me to buy their new album - done!  As Rach and I are off to see The Feeling again in October we need to learn songs so we can sing out loud as we dance and generally make spectacles of ourselves.  Oh I love a good gig :o)  Looking forward to the Kingsgate music in the park on Saturday,  its a good day out, and very handy for us as the park is just across the road.  We load up the buggy with paraphernalia for the day, bag ourselves a spot by the action and sit on our bums for hours on end.  Bliss.  Lets hope the weather is good this year for it.  Rach is coming along this year, apparently her son's friends' band is the opening act.  Was hoping my friend, Captain Ed, was going to be playing with his band, Natural Tendency, but apparently they missed the deadline!  I will get to see you live Captain Ed, I promise :o)

I would really like to ramble on about my childhood and how it shaped my lack of homely skills! My friends and I rode horses for a dealer and had the  greatest time.  We didn't have to pay for anything and spent all our free time "down the field".  This also meant our dogs have a good life too btw.   Anyway, I could mix up a horse feed with my eyes shut - cook a yummy meal, forget it!  Clean tack till it shone, dust and polish my house, just. Muck out the stables, spend hours cutting down the ragwort, putting up fences, schooling horses, heft bales of hay around etc etc.  Life was bliss.  I didn't spend a great deal of time at home, and so didn't really learn much of any use to run a house.  My Mum was a fantastic cook, always trying out new recipes, baking cakes, and I just didn't have the inclination to spend time in the kitchen with her.  I wish now that maybe I had, or even better, that I had a cook of my own!  Dressmaking, knitting, she was a proper Mum.  She taught me to knit, and I could probably still follow a pattern if I tried, but sewing, not for me.  Do you know what tho, I wouldn't change a bit of it.  From lazy days in the summer to breaking the ice in the water trough and carrying out bales of hay for the horses in the winter, it was my life.  The only downside was when your horse was sold.  Another horse soon replaced it, but it was always a wrench.

I need to stop now as I have to go and pick up my car from the garage - just had the brakes done, so hopefully I will feel safe again.   Don't forget to let me have your thoughts on scissors!

2 comments:

  1. Where to start!?
    I have a suspicion that someone of a medical persuasion is popping by every once in a while to ensure you have no pointy things near by!
    Lovely story about your childhood...your Mum was clearly a very special person in her way as you are in yours.
    Great that you spent some money on yourself...
    You are always last in the queue and I certainly approve of The Feeling CD...and the gig singing to come. Less thrilled about the Young Willy CD but I know you are fond...
    Anyway...glad you got 'it' (whatever 'it' is) off your chest

    Have fun

    David x

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, are you hinting, nay, suggesting that I am a danger with scissors? I strongly refute this, only ever having cut myself once or twice with them and someone else only once (Rob when he was a baby and I was trying to cut his teeny tiny nails!). Knives on the other hand are a different story!!
    You know I have long been a fan of Young Willy, and will remain so long into my 90's. As for The Feeling, you know you will get your phone call :o)
    xx

    ReplyDelete